Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Cup Cupboard

I was thinking about our engagement story the other day and it made me laugh. I think it's a pretty good one.

I'm not going to get into the nitty gritty, but I knew Jimmy was going to propose. It was not a surprise, and I knew it was coming. Thus making his job of trying to surprise me with a creative way to propose a little difficult.

I went over to his house one day. He used to live with Robbie and Breanne, and they were on vacation. Wow Robbie just can't get rid of us. Or we can't get rid of him, depending on how you want to look at it.

I've known Jimmy since 2004, and he has lived with Robbie for about 5 of those 7 years. Not that that is pertinent to this story though...

Anyhow Robbie and Breanne were out of town on their anniversary trip, so Jimmy was home alone. I went over to his house after work one day for a little while. I had to get up early and did not plan on staying over there too long.

As I was about to leave, Jimmy asked me to get him a cup for a drink of water. He was in the kitchen, just like I was. Why couldn't he get his own water? I opened the cupboard, pulled out a cup and handed it to him. He looked at me like I was nuts. He then asked me if he could have a smaller cup. I was so irritated! I had to get home and I had to pee. I remember wondering why his large cup was not good enough. So I opened up the cupboard and went to pull out a smaller cup.

And then I saw it. There was a ring in a ring box, sitting there all open and pretty. I had completely missed it the first time I opened the cupboard. If you know me, that is not really very surprising. I turned to look at Jimmy and he was on one knee. He asked me to marry him, and I said yes. He took the ring and tried to put it on the wrong hand. Boys are so funny. I guess they don't practice putting rings on girls when they are kids like we girls practice putting them on huh?

And that was it. We were engaged, and Jimmy did manage to surprise me. During our ring ceremony, he dropped the wedding ring he was trying to put on me. So funny. We got a good picture of that.

There were no flowers, or songs or crowds. But I love our engagement story. It's so us. Me not seeing the ring at first because I'm so aloof. And him not putting the ring on the right hand. We are a mess! But I can't think of anyone I'd rather be a mess with. :)

2 comments:

Julia Everts said...

That's so adorable. What a great story for your children to read. I need to write a book about our relationship and engagement for my posterity's sake.

Audrey Spence said...

I remember that day. I was laughing because it was so like you to be like, what the heck is your problem? Why is this cup not good enough? That was a fun day. Its kind of nice to have a simple engagement story. I like that about ours too. It was outside but cold so nobody was really around. Simple is just as sweet!


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones