Tuesday, February 22, 2011

One by One, or all at Once?

One of my favorite cubie buddies at work gave me a new series of books to read. This one is called "Fallen". I had no idea what it was about, but I dug right it. At first it was slow moving, but then it started picking up speed and I found myself burning through the 1st book. For those of you with kids who wonder where I find time to read, I'll tell you. I make time.

I usually get in bed at 9pm every night after Brynlee is asleep and read for an hour or so. Are there other things I should be doing? Of course. There is cleaning, organizing, folding, exercising to be done. But I shelve that all so I can read. And I look forward to that moment when I get to crawl into my dreamy bed and pick up my book all day long.

Anyhow, I burned through the first book of the "Fallen" series, went through the second book even faster and am now left waiting for the third book in the series to come out this Summer. As I put down the 2nd book and thought about how far away summer time seems I realized this is not a new feeling. It seems to be the new trend these days. Write books in volumes and release them every few years to keep readers anxiously hanging on. I hate it!

I used to consider myself a patient person, but I'm not so sure anymore. I find myself growing much more impatient these days. I think it's those Cuillards I live with rubbing off on me.

I went through this with Harry Potter, Vampire Academy and the Hunger Games books. It seems like the one series I did not do that with is the Twilight series, because I waited until those were all released and then cranked out all 4 in 5 days. I'm starting to think that was the way to go. I should just wait until a book series is completely released before I start them. Then, I don't have to end with no resolution and be left watching my calendar for the next one to come out.

The flip side of this is how exciting it is to have the next book in a series show up on my doorstep, after I've pre ordered it off Amazon months earlier. It's like Christmas popping up, right when I need it most.

Hmm...I guess there is good and bad either way. Other readers, what do you do? I'm curious. Because now I've got 5 months to stew on what will happen in this book and I don't like it!

No comments:


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones