Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Ready to Run... or at least try!

The first official day of spring is March 20th, a little over 1 week away. However it is cold cold cold right now. I mean like 50 degrees cold (I know for those of out of state that is like beach weather, but for here it's freezing).

It wasn't even this cold in the dead of winter, but now when spring is on the horizon the weather thinks otherwise. I don’t remember if the groundhog saw is shadow or not, but it feels like we've got a few more weeks of winter to come at this point.

I'm so sick of the cold, and glad it should be coming to an end soon. The way the seasons work is genius. By the end of Summer I'm usually ready to die if I have to face one more 100 degree day. By the end of winter (ie now) I'm so ready to break out the flip flops and short sleeved shirts again. About 3 months per season seems to be just right.

Last night I went running. Yes, I went running.

I hate running but I felt inspired so off I went. I'm sure people are tired of hearing me complain about how out of shape I am, so I'll do it this last time and be done with it.

I just about made it of our condo complex before I was huffing and puffing. I mean people run 10k marathons. How do they do that when I can't even run like 1/8th of a mile without my lungs feeling like they are going to burst out of my chest?

As I was running it was dark out already. I realized this might not be the safest thing, me running at night by myself. Especially considering the fact that if anyone besides a 400lb middle aged man attacked me I'd have no chance to get a way. This being said based on my lack of ability to run fast or for any sort of distance.

The fact that I married someone who can run like the wind seems ironic to me. He's going to hate that I'm putting this out there, but when Jimmy was in track he ran the mile in 4 minutes and 56 seconds. Seriously. I think my fastest time was 8 min 56seconds and I was so excited that I'd made it less than 9 minutes.

One of the things I admire about Jimmy is his physical perseverance. I first learned this on fast Sunday. When I get home from church on fast Sunday I basically close my fast in the car on the way home and run straight to the fridge upon arrival. For me, going without food for a few hours is like the end of the world and my hunger is enough to cripple me.

Not Jimmy though. He is able to think past the hunger and remain calm when food is in sight. He has complete control over his body. When it comes to exercising, he pushes past the pain and just keeps on going. He doesn't let his body own him, he owns it. I don't know how to do that.

It seems like it might be more of a mental issue than a physical one. That's one more to add to my list of things to work on!

No comments:


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones