Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Funds for a Good Cause

The way it works at my school is they have classes of new students staggered. For example, I started with my class in September of 2011. In June of 2011 a class also started. In Feb of 2011 a class started, etc. In the past month, most of the people who started in Feb 2011 have been graduating. One of those ladies was Claudia. I didn't speak to Claudia very much. We only spent about 1 month together on the senior floor. She was pleasant enough, usually smiling. She did not speak very much English, but seemed to have a way with her clients.

A few weeks ago I was watching the news and saw that there had been a murder in Simi Valley. This doesn't happen too often around here, but this one seemed particularly sad. The victim was beaten to death with a blunt object by her husband. The next day at school we found out that the victim was Claudia. Safe to say teachers and students alike were mortified. It was a hard day for everyone. Claudia had two children, one is 15 and one is 5. It's rumored that the 5 year old was present during the attack. The children are currently staying with family. But in one day they not only lost their mother, they lost their father too. It's horrifying.

We as a school felt we had to do something. Something to help. Today we had a fundraiser for Claudia's children. All of the money paid today at school for services will be donated to Claudia's children. A bunch of us girls decided to make baked goods to sell as well to help raise money. We decorated the school in purple and white because those are the colors that represent the fight against domestic violence. It turned out well today. We had a good turn out, and I was really excited to see the bake sale jar stuffed with cash. We all donated our tips too. Every little bit counts.

When I think about Claudia, my mind is boggled. How could someone do that to someone else? Especially someone's spouse! I'm so grateful that I'm married to someone who is level headed and kind. Sure I bug him now and again. But he is such an amazing person, he would never ever ever lay a finger on me. I think about what else Claudia may have had to endure up until last week and I shudder. It makes me feel sick.

It was nice to be a part of something that helped today. We should find out how much we raised tomorrow. I'm proud to go to a school that does stuff like this. That cares about people the way that I do.

No comments:


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones