Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Crossed Paths

I haven't had too many jobs ( about 5 or so) in my life. I'm not a job jumper. I get a job, and I usually just stick it out. I like my job more so these days, but for a while there I despised it. And I did nothing about it. I don't like to get out of my comfort zone.

Interviewing is so nerve wracking! I'll be honest, I am a pretty good hire. Not to toot my own horn or anything. Ok well maybe I will just a little. Toot toot. :) I'm extremely dependable, I'm a hard worker, I get along with everyone and am good with customers. It may take me a while to learn things, but that is because I want to do a good job and am afraid of making mistakes!

But going on an interview is like trying to ask someone out. You put yourself out there, and hope that they want you. Many times, they don't. Even if you are a good hire. Lots of people are good hires. And that rejection sucks! Actually, since I got my first job, I've gotten every job I interviewed for. All 4 of them. But when I was 16 with no work experience, people basically laughed at me when I handed them my baron resume.

A lady I've worked fairly closely with for the past 4 years just retired. I'm happy for her, but I'm sad for me. I wonder if I'll ever see her again. Thinking about that is depressing. I walk my her empty work station and it's painful to look at.

I started making a mental tally of all the people I've worked with in my life. When you are young, working part time with other teens the turnover rate is pretty high. But I've met some amazing people who have left lasting impressions. You spend a ton of time with some of these people, and then you or they leave that job and you never hear from them again. Thanks to modern wonders like facebook you can reconnect with some and see where they are in life.

I think they should have job reunions like they do high school ones every 10 years or so!

I miss a lot of my co workers, but I'm lucky to have some great ones now. I think about how many people I've crossed paths with in life and it blows my mind. I need to be better and keeping in touch with people, because I'm really bad at that. That will be my goal for the week.

PS, I'm dressed and showered today. And it's not even 3pm. Woo hoo! :)

1 comment:

Heather and Spencer said...

The very last sentence in the post is my favorite. Probably because it is 8:30 at night and I am still not.


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones