Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Things I Should Have Listened To...

Today was crappy, so I'm afraid this post will be pretty bleak.

I started thinking today about all the warnings/advice people have given me that I just brushed off. It so easy to think that you are different, or that you know better.

When I was younger people told me to enjoy childhood. Well, I did, but I sure didn't appreciate it the way I would if I could go back and do it again now. I think back to the time before bills and 9-5 jobs. A time when figuring out what I was going to wear to school the next day was the biggest worry I had.

Before I got married people warned me that marriage was tough, and love was not all you really need. I brushed these people off, figuring they had no idea what they were talking about. Well, turns out they did. Who knew? Unfortunately love does not pave the way. Money does not sprout from the ground and living with someone can be really hard sometimes, no matter how much you love each other. I try to tell my newly married/dating/engaged friends this, and I see a familiar look in their eyes. A look that says they are not listening to me, because they think they are different and I have no idea what I'm talking about. The cycle continues...

People used to tell me to enjoy school and that I would miss it when it was done. While you are enduring endless lectures, tests and homework it does not seem so enjoyable. I graduated just over 2 years ago now, and I do miss it. I miss it like crazy actually. I miss that feeling of turning in something that is A+ quality that you worked your butt off on. I miss that " Ah Ha" moment, when a concept that seemed so hard to grasp finally makes sense. The feeling of taking a test you are actually prepared for.

I could go on and on. But in the end the saying really is true, that you don't know what you've got until you don't have it anymore. And that is the strangest part of all of it.

Someday down the road I'm going to look back at my life as it stands now, and miss being part of a young married couple. I'll miss having friends that I can hang out with or play games with pretty much any night. I'll miss being able to spend my weekends however I want rather than shuttling kids all around. But as history tends to repeat itself, I won't really appreciate any of this until its gone.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

AMEN!! It's so true! And ya know what, Travis and I were just talking about the "good ol days" when we were married without kids and how free it was being able to do whatever, whenever with your friends...so with respect to your post...ENJOY THIS TIME!! Ha, love ya

Jessica said...

Wow! That does sound bleak! LOL It ALMOST makes me appreciate having been divorced because I get a second chance to REALLY appreciate it all.


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones