Thursday, February 6, 2014

The Sitter

You know that saying "You don't know what you've got till it's gone?". I find that to be one of the most true things I've ever heard. That seems to happen to me all the time. Sometimes I even know it's going to happen, and I'll think to myself that I'm really going to miss something once I don't have it anymore. But sometimes it's hard to live in the now and appreciate all that's around you.

Take California for example. Obviously I figured moving would be hard. But I think I underestimated how hard it would be. Or how lost I would feel sometimes without my friends and family close by. As we rapidly approach the year mark of our move I can't believe how fast it's gone by. But how strong the ache of missing those I love still stings sometimes.

Last night our family had a first. After almost 4 years, we had to pay a babysitter. Ok yes I know, we are spoiled. We were so lucky in California to have so many friends and family willing to watch Brynlee that we've never had to deal with babysitter woes. But we got invited to go out last night and decided it was time to find someone.

One of the great things about being LDS is a huge network of people! I asked my neighbor for some recommendations and she was able to give me quite a list. I found a girl who is 17 and made the arrangements. It was a little nerve wracking...I've never left Brynlee with a stranger like that before. But it went really well! When we got home, Brynlee was actually in bed and asleep. That never happens at a decent hour these days! And it was really nice to be able to get out of the house for a little bit.

Payment was kind of tricky... I wasn't sure how much to pay and how much she expected. I probably should have discussed that with her before hand but it was awkward and I didn't want to! Pay too much and you are stuck paying too much forever. Pay too little and they never want to come back. I checked with 3 different sources, so hopefully I paid the right amount. I guess we'll see if she dodges me next time I ask her to come back.

I was worried that Brynlee might be nervous to be left with a stranger. Which was stupid of me. Brynlee doesn't have a shy bone in her body. She was practically shoving us out the door when we left.

As I drove the babysitter home, it was really strange. I still forget sometimes how old I am. That I'm the one now hiring a babysitter instead of being asked to baby sit. Like when I see college kids and I think I'm the same age as them. Except that they are 10 years younger than me now. Weird.

All and all we had a great time getting out kid free for a little bit! It will probably be the last time for a while since I'm not about to leave my newborn with a 17 year old. So if we do go out again after sister baby is born we'll be plus one baby and minus one toddler.

No comments:


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones