Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Dentist Delight

I have something to confess. It's really awful, and embarrassing. I haven't been to the dentist since...2008! Ahhhh!!! I know. We've had dental insurance the whole time, and I just didn't go. I decided it was time to pay the piper. I made appointments for the whole family, Brynlee included.

I'm really strict about her teeth. She rarely gets juice, and if she does is super watered down. She doesn't eat a ton of candy, I try to keep that in check. She has a total sweet tooth, so if I didn't monitor it she would just eat candy all day. I wasn't sure what the dentist was going to be able to do with her, but I figured a peek in her mouth and getting her accustomed to going to the dentist was a good idea.

I went first, so she could see me riding in the fun chair. She was so excited about that chair. My appointment went really well. No cavities. Yay! I was blessed with really really strong teeth. I've had maybe 1 cavity in my life I think. And it was a small one. I was not blessed with straight teeth, but thanks to the miracle of orthodontics and my parents (thanks mom and dad!) I now have straight strong teeth.

When it was Brynlee's turn she was very excited. She opened her mouth for the dentist and even let him poke at her teeth a bit. He said it all looks good. I was even able to see a few new molars coming in! Maybe that is why she gets so sassy.

I'm determined to not it let it be another 5 years before I go back to the dentist. My parents always really encouraged me to take good care of my teeth, and I want to do the same for Brynlee. All and all, it was a delightful day at the dentist for us!

3 comments:

Audrey Spence said...

Oh how I wish my child behaved that well for the dentist. Charlotte pitched a fit at her appt when she was like 18 months I think. Then this last time in Oct she screamed the whole time and the dentist could hardly see a thing. I'm hoping next year is much better. I'm OCD with her teeth too. All she drinks is water. I never buy juice unless I need it for a recipe which might be 2-3 times a year. We scrub and floss. But Charlotte has enough gaps in her teeth the dentist said just worry about flossing between molars. And she's had fluoride in her vitamins since she was a baby. Up here they are retarded and a few yrs ago everyone voted against having fluoride in the water. So my kids get fluoride in their multivitamins. Stupid uneducated Utahns. :)

Sarah said...

Audrey, your comment made me wonder, so I googled Simi and florinated water. The reason is I remember the dentist telling my mom that Simi did not have forinated water. But I think it might have become florinated recently. These articles are really old (the first is from 2001) but they are interesting. I had no idea that there was controversy about this:
http://articles.latimes.com/2001/nov/25/local/me-8104

http://www.simivalleyacorn.com/news/2006-08-11/front_page/003.html

Audrey Spence said...

I think Simi had always had it because the two dentists I've seen up here said I must be from out of state and had fluoride because my teeth look like they were stronger than people they see from UT. I don't get why its such a big deal. They're not going to put high enough levels of fluoride in to harm us. It would help our children have better teeth. Thank goodness for the educated dr's and dentists who help my kids out though! :)


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones