Wednesday, July 27, 2011

One Little Post

I'm amazed at this thing called blogging. Who would have thought that reading about other people's lives could be so life altering? In my case, I often read about people I don't even know. Yes I'm one of those people.. a blog stalker. I hate it when I hit a private blog. Curse, it's like a big door slamming in my face telling me I can't get it.

Anyhow I love reading blogs. I check the blogs I follow about 15 times a day (I'm not joking here). Tsk tsk, Some of you need to post a little more if you ask me...

I have no doubt that some of the things I've read on other people's blogs have changed me. Changed the way I think about life and the way I think about other people. I've been inspired, and so appreciate that.

However, this time it's my own blog that inspired me. One little post. How much can one little post do? A lot a guess. Since my last post I've decided to quit my job and enroll in cosmetology school. Yes I'm serious. No I'm not joking. I gave my job notice yesterday and am committed to making this happen.

I've had several different reactions to this decision. Shock, horror, astonishment, dumbfoundment ( I realize that is not a word, yet I'm using it anyhow. Good thing I'm not trying to become a writer) . Am I crazy? Yes, but we already knew that. Will we be poor? Yes, but we already are. How will we live, what will I do, is this the right decision. These questions attack me from every angle. And to be 100% honest I do not have all the answers lined up nicely just yet. But I honestly feel with all my heart that this is the right thing for me to do.

I've always loved to do hair. Ever since I can remember. Every time I meet a hair dresser I think about how I wish I could do that, and how I really missed the boat on that one.

Well, here comes another boat. I'm making it come. I have a small window of opportunity here and I'm taking it. I'm 27 years old, have been a travel agent for 4 years, have a bachelors degree in geography and want to be a hair dresser. You are never to old to chase your dreams.

It's going to be one wild ride. I cried last night, for a really long time. Not that me crying is unusual. But this is the first time I've cried about this. Because I am sad. I'm sad to leave my job and the love/hate relationship I have with it. I think about all the experiences my job and I have gone though together and it makes me want to cry all over again. I think about not seeing my co workers all the time and it makes me so sad my heart physically aches. I'm not good with change. And this is a big one. And not an easy one. But I feel it's the right one. I'm the type of person who usually follows my head rather than my heart. Not this time. Let's hope my heart knows what it is doing. :)

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh my goodness, Liz! I am so excited for you!! Really, I think most of us don't figure out what we really want to do until we're at least 25 . . . which makes things inconvenient! Brent talks all the time about wanting to go back and get a different undergrad degree. But we have yet to take that plunge. . . .

Becoming a hair stylist seems like a very family-friendly career. And you are so fun and down-to-earth, I would come to you to get my hair cut in a heartbeat! I say go for it!!

Julia Everts said...

First of all, i hope my blog has not affected you wrongly and i hope you don't think bad things of me.

Secondly, congratulations! That's so awesome! There was a point in my life where i wanted to do that and now i don't really have any desire. Maybe when i'm 27, in 2 years, i'll have a life altering revalation of what i want to do with my life besides be a mom. We'll find out.

Megan said...

You go girl! Change is hard....but you can do it! So happy and excited for you!!

Heather and Spencer said...

I am excited for you! Glad you are finding what it is that will make you happy...and think about all the money you will save by doing Brynlee's hair yourself! (and I admit it. I too, am a blog stalker)

Audrey Spence said...

Oh I wish you could move up here. The cosmetology school in town is sooooo cheap and would save you so much money. Plus they use really good products. Chloe said they had recently got in some schwarzkopf hair dye. I wanna have Chloe use that on me some time. She says it is amazing on your hair. I have their cheaper brand of hair protectant and love it. You're gonna love the mad product hookups. You'll have fun though. Oh and Scott's family is selling his grandma's house for only 95k.... I'm always gonna be looking for ways to get you up here. Get used to it! :)

sibi said...

Very good post. We really learn a lot from the blogosphere. New experiences and interactions. Keep blogging! You are welcome to see mine. (sibi-cyberdiary.blogspot)

RachelAA said...

I love love love your blog - you can be invited to mine if you'd like. I used to also hate running into a private one. Anyway.... I wanted you to know I read, and I read often and I LOVE your posts. Good luck in your change!!!! Exciting. I know what it's like to leave co-workers of 7 years and it's tough, but you'll find joy elsewhere. Good luck.


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones