Wednesday, November 3, 2010

I Dream of Places

With it being November and all everyone seems to be talking about how thankful they are. Always one to march to the beat of my own drum, I'm going to complain a bit. :)

I became a travel agent for a couple of reasons, one main one being I want to travel. It seemed that this was a good occupation for that. However, I've not gone anywhere. Last year, I had the opportunity to take a free trip to Tokyo. Yes, free! As you can imagine, I jumped at this. I had my passport expedited, and was ready to go. Except I got pregnant. And the baby had a fetal heart arrhythmia. So my Dr said no way was I to be jet setting around. Ok, bye Tokyo!

Then I made President's Club at work, and won a free stay at the Hotel del Coronado. I've always wanted to stay there! But the trip was for Jun 2nd. 1 week after Brynlee was born. Ok, Bye Hotel Del Coronado!

I wouldn't trade my child for anything in the world. It is frustrating that just as my job was starting to pay off travel wise I couldn't take advantage of any of these opportunities though.

It's to the point now were I'm thinking travel is just not in the cards for me. I'm going to live and die being one of those people who has never left this continent. One of those people who always dreamed of going places and just never quite made it there.

I realize I'm only 26, and have plenty of traveling years ahead of me. But now that we have started our family, I can't help but think that my ideal traveling time is behind me. The fact that Jimmy and I have completely different traveling styles doesn't help.

I want to go to Paris so bad I literally do dream about it. Quite frequently actually. I'm borderline obsessed with the Eiffel Tower. I even have a lamp shaped like it for goodness sake. It's to the point now that I think if I ever do get there I'll probably break down sobbing because I actually made it.

It seems everyone else is able to travel somehow, despite financial problems and family responsibilities. I must be missing something here. Is there an " I want to go to Europe" hotline that I'm in the dark about? How is it all these people make these trips happen, and I can't seem to do it. I book trips for a living! If someone should be able to make it happen, it should be me.

One of my biggest fears is getting older, and realizing that there were a ton of places I wanted to go and now it's too late. A time when I have to stop saying "I'll go there some day" because I've reached the end but never actually went.

1 comment:

Audrey Spence said...

I know how you feel. I love to travel and even if its stateside I'd be happy but having kids and no money really makes that difficult. Scott doesn't care to much to go out of the US and he lived in Argentina for 2 yrs so he's kinda had a shot at that. I would be so happy even going there! But I figure someday it'll work out. In the meantime I'll get outta debt and try to pay off my house early and go places locally that I have never been to or don't go to often to curb my appetite for getting out and being adventurous.


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones