Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Squeaky Wheel

I went to dinner with some friends the other night. No one could decide where to go (what’s' new?), and eventually we found somewhere we could all agree on. Accept I didn't really want to eat there.

I didn't want to be difficult, so I just went along with it.

As I was sitting at the restaurant reading over the menu for like the 100th time waiting for something to pop out at me I started thinking about how often I find myself in this situation.

I don't want to rock the boat, or seem difficult so I just go along with what others want. But then they are eating where they want to, and I'm stuck paying for food I didn't want in the first place. It's so true what they say, the squeaky wheel really does get the oil. I never squeak, so I don't get any...

I still have that book I bought last year called “The Nice Girl Syndrome". I have not finished that book, and it shows it situations like these.

Funny thing is I'm happy to impose my will with one person. My poor husband. I tell him what I want, when I want it. And if we are being truly honest, I usually get it. We go to the movies I pick, and eat where I want to. We watch what I want to on TV. Maybe I have so much built up squeaking that I don’t express with others that it all comes out towards him?

Who knows. I think I am pretty easy going with most things, but how hard would it have been to just say the other night " I don't want to eat there"? No one else seemed to have a problem saying that. I really admire those people who just put it all out there, and aspire to be more like them one day. Not that I want to be a complete boat rocker, but it would be nice to get some oil once in a while!

On a completely different topic, if my cat wasn't so cute I'd kill her. Seriously. Every morning she wakes me up. Not Jimmy just me.

In her defense she doesn't start licking my nose or pawing at me until my alarm goes off. But she hasn't seemed to grasp the idea of "snooze" yet. I'm a big snooze button hitter. I purposely set my alarm to go off early so I can snooze. I know that seems weird to some, but I need to hit snooze at least 2 times to be functional when I get out of bed.

So, imagine my frustration when after my alarm goes off 1 time I feel her start to mosey up to my face. I try to roll away from her, but she just follows me. By the time I get up and put her out of the room, I'm awake and it's too late to snooze anyway. At least I don't have to worry about oversleeping this way.

I wonder why she only does this to me. Maybe because she knows Jimmy would kill her (literally)?. I don't think she goes up to Robbie's room and waits for his alarm to go off so she can plague him either ( I'm sure I'd hear about it if that was happening). Just me. Aren't I lucky? I guess I could put her out at night, but she is so cuddly, it's almost worth missing my snooze. Almost...

No comments:


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones