Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Tough Love

I've started taking advantage of the fact that I live with someone who is in school learning how to help people exercise. I mean what a resource to have!

I've had Jimmy show me a few exercises to target certain areas. I look back and its funny how I go through fazes of things that bother me on my body. Sometimes I'm ok with one part, and then the next month I hate it.

Anyway Jimmy had me doing some things the other night. After a few minutes I thought I was done, but he had other plans. He wanted to me keep going. My legs wanted otherwise.

I mean when you think about it exercise seems to go against what we are taught from day one. If something hurts, don't do it. Simple right? Don't touch the stove, it will burn you. Don't jump of your roof; you'll end up in a body cast. Don't jump from moving vehicles; don't stick a fork in an electrical socket, etc.

But when it comes to exercising, we do these things, and when it hurts so bad you are longing for the comfort of the grave you are supposed to push past the pain and keep going? Huh?

Ok I know "Pain is weakness leaving the body" blah blah blah. I don't think pain is weakness leaving the body, I think it sucks and I hate it.

Unfortunately that is exactly why I need someone like Jimmy to give me tough love. While he is doing it it feels like a slave driver cracking a whip on my back. But afterwards I appreciate his faith in me. He thinks that I completely sell myself short on things, and I agree. I'm too quick to say I can't do something when it gets too hard.

On another note I baked for the first time since the pineapple upside down cake debacle. I made banana bread on Sunday. There were no fits, or screaming or crying. Then again my banana bread came out just fine. In fact it was pretty tasty if I do say so myself. The true test will be to see how I react when a disaster in the kitchen strikes again...

1 comment:

Jessica said...

haha, exercise is one tricky thing to tackle and I admire those who never have problems disciplining themselves and pushing through...and think with you're "tough love" you could be that person...Go Liz!


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones