Friday, July 11, 2014

Product of My Raise

Brynlee likes pink. Maybe like isn't a strong enough word, obsessed is more like it. If it's pink, she wants it. I have to coerce her into any clothing color besides pink. She wants pink ice cream and pink candy, even though she always hates the flavor and ends up wanting to eat mine!

I think pink is OK. It's fine, but it's not my favorite color by far. I don't have a ton of pink stuff and I don't wear it very often. But like most little girls, my daughter loves it. Why? Why does she like pink so much? Is it because she has been surrounded by it since day 1? Toys, clothes, whatever. If you have a girl they have pink stuff because that is what the stores make. Pink for girls.

I started thinking the other day. Does she link pink because it's ingrained in her head to like it? If I'd never bought her a pink thing, would she still love it? I guess we'll never know.

I grew up with a Dad who likes two main sports. Baseball and football. He'll watch other sports on occasion, but those are his two. Number one being baseball.

I'm married to a man who likes two main sports. Baseball and football. He'll watch other sports on occasion, but those are his two. Number one being football.

I like two main sports. Baseball and football. I'll watch other sports on occasion,but those are my two.

See a trend here? Basketball, eh. I've never been a huge fan. But I wasn't raised with people who were huge fans. If I didn't' grow up in the house I did, would I even care about baseball?

OBVIOUSLY we are our own people. I wasn't raised Mormon, but now I am. I make my own decisions in my life and that's that. But the older I get the more I find how I was raised coming into play. I do things my Mom does, I say things my Mom did.

I really am  product of my raise. It's kind of scary sometimes. Because that means my kids will be a product of their raise. That's a lot of pressure on me to raise some great people!

Brynlee still talks about the post office incident ( refer to the postal meltdown post). Apparently I'm never going to live down the time I lost my cool and kicked the package while sobbing outside the post office. I'm sure Brynlee will still talk about it 20 years from now. I say things, Brynlee says things. I do things, Brynlee does things. I am being watched and copied. I'm not sure I'm such a great person to copy most of the time. I better step up my game!


No comments:


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones