Saturday, November 26, 2011

Feeling Thankful

On the Wednesday before Thanksgiving I was given the opportunity to participate in a Cut A Thon. It's this thing my school does at the Simi Valley Senior Center where we do free haircuts and manicures.

A few classmates and I were chosen to go, and were assigned to man the manicure table. I think I probably did 13 manicures that day. We were on a wait the whole time, from 9am to 3pm. At the beginning of the day I started with a list of the manicure steps next to me. Now, I could do a manicure in my sleep! :) Luckily my nail painting seemed to get much better as the day wore on as well...because it needed it! I'm thankful for the manicuring practice, as well as the opportunity to serve. So many seniors left that day feeling happy with their new looks, and I'm grateful I got to be a part of it. I truly do love giving service, and wish I had the initiative to do it more often.

Since Wal-Mart opened at 10pm on Thanksgiving this year, It thought it would be smart to join my friend and " run in there for a few things". Yes I said those words. Ha ha, that alone shows how ignorant I am when it comes to black Thursday night/Friday shopping. When I had to practically park in a different zip code that should have been sign number 1 that I was in for a treat. But I trekked to the store anyway. They should have had a tram for goodness sake! When I entered the store, there were no aisles. Just a moving mob of people. My friend and I jumped right in, and moved along with them. Shopping basically consisted of grabbing things as we moved with the mob on by. There was no time for loitering or examining something, you just had to grab it and keep moving to avoid getting trampled. Only a few fights broke out while we were there. I guess that is not too bad? There was event security everywhere, directing people, snapping at people; ie me, because I apparently was not moving fast enough for his liking. Nice Christmas spirit!

I managed to collect a few things, and then we had to wait in line for 1 hour to by them. By this point it was 2am and I was thinking this whole idea was a mistake of epic proportions, and was desperately wishing I'd stayed tucked in bed instead. That was the first time I've gone to Wal-Mart on black Friday, and I think it might be my last. But I'm thankful that I got to take part in such an experience.

I got to spend a lot of time with Brynlee this week, and I'm thankful for that as well. She continues to amaze/aggravate/entertain and awe me with her cuteness everyday. And we had lots of fun together. I think. She might be ready to play with her friends though, because I'm sure I'm not nearly as entertaining as they are.

I'm thankful for this time of year, that allows me to reflect on what really matters in life and reminds me of all the things I've been blessed with.

I'm just feeling thankful in general. And I'm thankful to feel that way. :)

No comments:


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones