Sunday, January 2, 2011

Puzzled

Happy New Year!

Jimmy and I rang in the New Year at home, with just the two of us. Yep, super exciting! Actually it wasn't bad. There is never anything to do on New Years it feels like. So this year instead of desperately trying to find something to do, we just sat. And were in bed by 12:05am, no joke. We almost didn't make it to midnight! You know you are getting older when...

I love the beginning of a New Year. It's like you have a clean slate and anything is possible. Maybe in 2011 I'll win the lotto, or finally get that 6 pack I've always wanted. Maybe I'll go to Paris, or maybe I'll buy a house. You never know and I love that. It's like the beginning of everything, a new relationship, a new diet, a new exercise regimen. The beginning is where you think anything is possible and cold hard reality hasn't hit you yet. Ahh, ignorance is bliss! :)

This New Years day Jimmy and I were quite productive. We took down all our Christmas decorations and cleaned, cleaned, cleaned. As much as I love putting up Christmas decorations, I HATE taking them down. It is so depressing it leaves me wanting to eat something fried and take a long nap afterwards (a Mormon girls equivalent to a stiff drink). The only thing I can think of doing to mask the emptiness that I now feel in my home is decorate for Valentines Day! Yay! Robbie is so excited about this idea, he practically leapt off the couch to help. :)

Brynlee's fits have eased off a bit. I think she has realized they don't work with me. Like my friend Audrey said, I'm stubborn enough to outlast the fit. I won't give in, and she'll get tired of throwing it before I crack. Ha! Victory!

Brynlee is not too thrilled when it comes to eating fruits now. She only eats vegetables enthusiastically. She will eat prunes occasionally if I keep shoving them on her to help her intestinal issues ( yes poop, I'm taking about poop). The Dr also recommended I try to give her water, which she continues to hate. I've tried to give her finger foods, which she proceeds to spit out and then looks at me like I'm trying to kill her. I keep trying to give her these things every meal, and she keeps giving me the baby death stare. Maybe she will be a formula drinking vegetarian for the rest of her life? I guess there are worse things...

I realized this feeling of frustration is one I've had before, and then it hit me. Having a baby is like a live puzzle that you are constantly trying to solve. Just when you think you have an idea of what you are doing, the puzzle/baby throws another obstacle at you. And so it continues; figure out one problem and another arises. It's like a baby is a human Rubik's Cube. Looks like it can't be that hard, but once you get in the trenches you are shocked at how exhausting trying to get all those colored squares on one side really is.

I never did figure out the Rubik's Cube, I gave up. As I tend to do with most challenging things (which would explain my lack of skills with most things). Guess that is not an option here? Just kidding, not that I want to give up on this challenge. I'm just learning how patient I really can be. It's amazing! We'll see what challenges Brynlee/Baby Rubik's' Cube throws at me tomorrow!

Happy 2011 everyone!!

3 comments:

Heather and Spencer said...

We sat at home for New Years too...got some In & Out and watched Toy Story 3 as a family (Ry was pretty thrilled, he even got a shake)! I think Spencer and I were in bed by 10 and asleep shortly after, so you have got us beat on that one!
Ry had the pooping issues too. We had to resort to using babylax...so sad! Has Brynlee's Dr said to try apple juice? Or there is the baby prune juice too...good luck! I remember how frustrating that one was!
You need to let me know when you have some time off so we can get together (you know, for the kids to have a play date)!

Audrey Spence said...

I made it to 10:30 on news years. We were really tired and little did I know I was getting sick. Does Brynlee just not like what she's drinking out of? I found that Charlotte hates sippy cups but loves straws so I bought her something similar to these: http://www.nuby.com/en/nuby/cups-spouts/9901
I know it says 12+ months but she used it earlier. So she may still be a little young to sip but Charlotte loves these. I agree with heather to use apple or prune juice. I do that with Charlotte since she likes to eat a lot of cheese and we know what happens when you eat too much cheese :)

Lulu said...

Brilliant parenting analogy!! Thanks for the insight Liz!


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones