Wednesday, June 30, 2010

By the Book

I've always been a rule follower. I'm one of those people who like to read the instructions, and following them word for word. I MIGHT cut a corner now and then, but for the most part if the instructions say to do something, I do it. This often works out well, but I'm fiding it proving to be problematic at times. Mainly with child rearing.

The problem is my child did not come with a tailor made set of instructions. I keep "What to Expect the First Year" on my coffee table, and refer to it about 100 times a day. Brynlee seems to be truly unique, and she doesn't quite fit the mold. I guess who does?

I think I've figured out what was making her so fussy. She was hungry. Yep, hungry. I was feeding her as much as she "should" want. "Should" being the main word there. I guess she wants more than she should, because she is just scarfing down food. Once she gets as much as she wants, she is a happy baby again. Go figure. So, my baby is a little tank. I guess until the Dr tells me she is too fat I'll just keep feeding her as much has her little body desires.

So that's the problem with by the book people. Sometimes life throws us a curve ball, and by the book doesn't fit or make sense. Then I find myself lost and confused, with no instructions to call my own.

I'm thinking this raising a child thing will be good for me. As someone who lives life so consertively 98% of the time, I'll have to learn to trust my gut and take some risks with things.

No comments:


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones